I'm Not Here

I was in a hotel in Dublin. I went up to the woman behind the bar and asked for a drink. Her reply surprised me.

"I am not the woman behind the bar."

I was thinking about this when a song came on the radio.

"The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe

They call the wind Mariah".

A golden oldie but because I do not have a name, I thought Mariah would probably suit me. So that is how I introduced myself to Liam.

"So tell me, Mariah, where do you come from?"

I don't come from anywhere. So I gave him a kiss. He probably thought I was being a bit forward.

By the end of the evening, as a matter of course, we adjourned to Liam's room.

On the way out, I said, "Good night, Joe," to the fire.

All good things come to an end. In the morning I had my name, address and job again. Still I had enjoyed being Mariah.


 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165448347329

Derek McMillan is the editor of #worthingflash and the author of the "Brevity" series. At an authors' fair in Crawley, I was promoting the idea of audio stories. Most of us don't have a printing press in the shed but an audio book can be produced with just a laptop and a decent microphone. Record the stories on the laptop (Audacity software is very good for this and it is  free) and burn them to the CD.

Simples!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare