The Whole World

My favourite birthday presents at age seven were a magnifying glass and a globe so big I could barely reach around it. I imagined scaling those bumpy peaks beneath my fingertips. As the birthday party wound down, my grandfather hobbled over.

            “Can you find where we are?” he asked.

            Grampa trained the magnifying glass on the spot where I held my finger. “

            Ah-ha!” he said.

            “What?” I asked, my head bumping his as we squinted through the magnifier.

            He laughed. “I think you found the first place I twisted my ankle running the mountains when I was your age.”

John Sheirer


John Sheirer is an author and teacher from Massachusetts, USA. His latest book, “Stumbling Through Adulthood: Linked Stories,” won a Pinnacle Book Achievement Award and a New England Book Festival Award. Find him at JohnSheirer.com. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Sawtooth