One Day in Monsoon



I awoke to the sound of tea sellers and the jerk of the compartment. I looked out through the window of the Rajasthani express. The name was readable, and I saw 'ERNAKULAM JUNCTION'. I was on my way from Trivandrum to Mumbai. There was loud noise of thunder outside. The sky was dark, and it was drizzling rain after heavy rain. The train was late already. I wanted to have a tea and looked out through the window. The tea sellers had already moved far away from my compartment. I got down in the platform and reached the tea stall.

As I was finishing my tea, I could see the slow movement of the train. I started running towards the entrance and caught hold of the handle. I lost balance and was about to fall back. Suddenly I could feel a soft hand with bangles holding me tightly. I regained my balance and bent towards inside the train. Another hand caught the lady who pulled me inside. It took few minutes to come to my senses. I said 'Thanks.' I looked at the face of the lady who helped me. By then the train had already left the station. I quickly moved to my seat.

My opposite berth had been empty till Ernakulam. When I reached back a lady and small girl was sitting there already. After few minutes I realized that it was the lady who pulled me inside. Oh 'Devi, it is you?' The train was approaching the Nila river and slowed down. I asked her. 'Devi, how are you?' Devi replied. 'I am ok, this is my daughter' I was not getting any words to continue the talk. I looked out of the window and thought Devi has changed a lot over ten years The Nila river had many nice memories for me and Devi. Devi was my classmate in the Xth class. Devi was a clever student and had always shown a keen interest in me. We hardly had an opportunity to speak free during those days. The school used to be over at 4pm I had the habit of walking towards the bus stop near the Nila river. My bus had a stop near the school, but I had always waited three stops ahead in the road. The bus stop had a junction where Devi used to turn and continue her walk towards her village.

Devi used to pass in front of me and always made a point to turn back at me many times during that 3-minute walking distance. 'Where are you now a days Sekhar?' I woke up from my dream and looked at her. I told; Devi I was working in Mumbai. 

Devi continued; "You never came to see us after Xth?' 

Yes, I had moved to Bangalore and lost touch with all our friends. Devi replied. 'Sekhar I had a feeling you loved me and would return one day.' I felt sad and told Devi, "I never got married and wanted to come back to you.' Devi said, 'Now, it is too late, or you have an option to marry a widow with a girl child.' I was shattered and speechless. I said, why not? ' The monsoon has arrived in my life now only' Devi looked into my eyes. Devi said, 'how many days you had waited for me in the bus stop?' 'Yes, how may days you used to look back at me?' We both laughed and Devi came and sat near me. I thought, ' 'God hears our prayers, it may be late sometimes.'

I took her soft hand and said, "I continued as a bachelor and never thought I would be able to meet you again"

THE END.


by RAJAN V KOKKURI


 

 

I want to recommend this product at Amazon

I Remain  Forever Yours
by Amazon Asia-Pacific Holdings Private Limited
Learn more: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07ZD9XVHC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0BaUFbSQ95YQK
    


I want to recommend this product at Amazon

MY PRECIOUS DREAMS: THE RARE FOOTSTEPS & 4 SHORT STORIES
by Amazon Asia-Pacific Holdings Private Limited
Learn more: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08FTGSRLH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_zAaUFb208SXZA
      


I want to recommend this product at Amazon

MY DREAMS मेरे सपने (HINDI EDITION)
by Amazon Asia-Pacific Holdings Private Limited
Learn more: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08HJ9B8R6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VQaUFbD902JMD
    


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare