Cramp

Half-open eyes confirmed it was daylight outside. Inhaling deeply of the new day, Alex smiled and stretched head-to-toe like a cat.

Cramp!

Too late, toes pulled back and heels extended. Pain in the left calf eased, but the other tightened as muscles in the foot threatened to join in.

Alex rolled, careful not to disturb the sleeper, and sat on the edge of the bed to try the leg before standing.


Teeth brushed, Alex returned from the bathroom. The bed’s other occupant was awake now. Blue eyes creased at the outside edges when they smiled. Nice eyes: clear. Alex hadn't registered their colour in the half-lit hall when they were exchanging histories, although they stood eye-to-eye for height. They'd skimmed lightly over Chris's fatal accident – two years ago now – and the other's messy divorce.

The smallest bridesmaid had bumped into them. Looking up, she asked, "How tall are you?" and was told, "I haven't measured myself lately."

Alex had laughed. Who doesn’t know their own height? When Alex's sister came to say they were leaving, her offer of a lift was declined.


Back in bed, they lay facing each other. "All right?"

"Oh yes," Alex replied.

The clock ticked.

"That wasn't at all how I'd envisaged Casey and Sandy's wedding."

Alex chuckled. "Me neither. I’d texted Sandy's mother and said I was ill. Ten minutes later she turned up on the doorstep to bully me into getting dressed."

"I'm glad she did."

Their eyes met, each mirroring the other's contentment.

Alex's low drawl broke the silence. "Everybody knows their own height."

It raised a smile. "The surgeon said I'd have one leg longer after the first op." A hand reached for Alex's. "I didn't feel lopsided though, till after the second one. I must have got accustomed to lurching unevenly for three months between hip replacements." The clock clicked where the alarm used to sound. "Are you always up this early at the weekend?"

"What's the weekend got to do with anything?" They shared a smile at that. "I had cramp. I often get night cramps in bed."

"Oh, I get that too. The doctor said it's more common when you get to our age."

by Cathy Cade

www.cathy-cade.com

 

www.facebook.com/cathycade.wordsmith

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/entity/author/B07KPJGBLJ

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/cathincade

https://www.goodreads.com/cathycade

 


 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Sawtooth