Plummet

 

Plummet
 When you plummeted from the suspension bridge you resembled a leaf falling. Later on the news I learned your name and your age, which was forty two, a significant number. I remembered this from a well-known book I’d read before, though you yourself were not famous. I wondered, as you tumbled, did you think of your children (a boy of six, girl of ten) or the husband who beat you, the unwashed clothes in the linen basket or your three goldfish, or did you think of your lover’s mouth, soft as a petal on your own; your red beating heart?
 
Bronwen Griffiths
 
 

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this. Great leading imagery. Forty-two reference baffled me a bit, but made me read on to the deep, touching introspections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything in the "Hitchhikers' Guide" series by Douglas Adams.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Units

100-word challenge

Childcare