The Prime Minister addresses the nation



By Francis Beckett


This is the full text of the radio address to the nation given today, 30 December, 1940, by the Prime Minister, Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, First Earl of Halifax.


Good evening.
I am addressing you today from a secret location. I do not need to tell the brave men and women of London why this should be the case. They know, all too well, why the location of their Prime Minister cannot be revealed.

For yesterday, in one terrible night, more destruction was wreaked upon London than our capital has ever known since the Great Fire, three hundred years ago. The bombs of the Luftwaffe were concentrated in the square mile of the City of London. Most of Sir Christopher Wren’s fine churches were destroyed, though swift and courageous action by air raid wardens saved St Pauls itself. Since the start of the Blitz in September, 13,000 civilians have lost their lives.

And now I will tell you something that has been kept secret until now. Before the Blitzkreig began, we had an indication from the German authorities through a third party, that peace talks might be possible.

Some of us argued in vain that we should do so, but the talks foundered on the opposition of our Labour colleagues under Mr Attlee, and of some members of my own Conservative Party such as the First Lord of the Admiralty, Mr Churchill.
Nonetheless, after the events of last night, I received a direct communication from Mr Hitler. He intimated that peace on most favourable terms for our country could still be obtained.
I have to tell you now that I am pursuing this proposal in direct talks with Mr Hitler himself, currently via the means of the telephone, though Mr Hitler is due in London shortly to continue them in person.

I understand, of course, that this will cause some concern, and it is a matter of great regret to me that Mr Churchill and Mr Attlee have refused to remain as members of His Majesty’s Government.

They are old and valued colleagues, and I regret deeply that they cannot see their way clear to coming with me on this great adventure. I remember most clearly that day in June this year – but six months ago, yet it seems to have taken place in another age – when the then Prime Minister, Mr Chamberlain, spoke to me and Mr Churchill. Mr Chamberlain said that one of us would be required to pick up his burden. I argued that as a member of the House of Lords, I could not do it. I suggested that our present emergency might require the buccaneering if perhaps undisciplined talents of Mr Churchill.

But Mr Chamberlain eventually persuaded me that it was my duty to assume the burden; that Mr Churchill’s many fine qualities did not include the sober judgement required in this desperate situation. Mr Churchill generously expressed his willingness to serve under me, and the Labour Party and other parties agreed to join my coalition government.

However, as from today, that coalition no longer exists. And since there is no longer a workable coalition governing Britain’s affairs, it is natural that Mr Hitler wishes to ensure stable government in this island. To this end, I have willingly vacated Number Ten Downing Street in order that it may more conveniently accommodate Mr Hitler’s representative here, Mr Von Ribbentrop.

I wish, however, to stress that His Majesty’s government remains His Majesty’s Government. Our Parliament will now sit, and our ministers run their departments, a little to the north of their historical home, in fact in Stoke on Trent, whose magnificent municipal building will I believe conveniently accommodate them. It may be, in the short term, that it will become necessary to have a part of the south of the country administered directly by members of the German armed forces.

You will, I know, have concerns about all this, and these concerns are entirely proper. One of them, no doubt, will be that Mr Hitler’s approach to the Jewish problem is seen by many in our country as – to put it at its kindest – over-zealous. Indeed, I would go as far as to say that it is un-English. I have made it one of my first concerns to raise this matter with Mr Hitler, and I am glad to tell you that I have received an assurance that we will not be required to put in place any of those restrictions upon our Jewish fellow citizens which their co-religionists in Europe have found so irksome. I may say that this guarantee comes direct from Mr Hitler himself, so we may absolutely rely upon it.

I say this now because I understand that, in the last few hours, some leading members of our Jewish community appear to have gone into hiding. They have my assurance, as Prime Minister, that they will be safe.

Let me make it clear that Britain remains independent and unconquered. We are a free people, and we will conduct our own affairs and make our own decisions. Mr Hitler has assured me that he respects our historic right to continue to do this. Indeed, he has generously offered the services of his colleague Mr Goebbels to assist us in ensuring that our democracy functions effectively.

There will, of course, be matters upon which His Majesty’s government will now have to consult with the government in Berlin before taking action. I refer in particular to foreign policy. I do not pretend that this is entirely palatable, but it is a small price to pay for peace and a far smaller one than would have been exacted from us, had we, as some suggested, waited until our cities were reduced to rubble, and an amphibious invasion launched across what I am proud still to be able to call the English Channel.
Thank you, and good night.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare