Sorry, my friend





by Rajan V Kokkuri

I searched for my old friend Sunny's telephone number in my old diary and got it.

Sunny used to work in Kochi. Sunny was one year senior to me during my college days. I was happy I got the number. It is for a long time I called him. The bell was ringing and there was no answer at the other end. I was about to ring off the phone. Suddenly I heard a boy's voice at the other end.

"Hello" I was happy finally; I am able to hear someone, "Can I talk to Sunny?

"Uncle Sunny Passed away in 2001." I could not get words to talk further.

"Oh, I never knew."

"How about his wife and children?"

"Yes, they are here, aunty got a job in his previous company Cacil in Kochi."

I called Sura immediately. "Sura, did you know that Sunny passed away."

"No, I never knew."

We both spoke a lot about our college time. Sunny used stay in Barely Street,

Bangalore with his elder brother Advocate Sam. I still remember a nice time in college.

It was my first day in college. English was very difficult for me. Someone guided me to the class.

After a few minutes, Sir came and addressed us.

"So, all of you joined to become draughtsmen?"

All of us nodded our heads.

"Ok, follow me, let me check your drawing capabilities." He took us to a workshop on the ground floor.

Sir showed us a Lathe machine. "Come on boys, make a sketch of this machine and show me tomorrow morning." All of us started staring at each other. What to do? If we happened to fail, will he cancel our admission? We doubted about that. We started

As we were drawing the sketch, three senior boys appeared. "Hi all, don't worry, he is not Sir." "His name is Billy and he is our classmate and not a lecturer."

Hearing that, we were relieved of the tension. This incident helped me to get good friends.

Classes started and I found it easy with the help of senior friends like Sura, Sunny and Arul.

Most of them were very senior to me in age. Two years passed and the course ended and

I passed with good marks. By then, Arul was already working in BPL and helped me to get a

job in the same company. I got a job making artworks for electronic machines. We used to

use some rubber solution for preparing artworks.

Arul used to be a mischief and used to apply sometimes the paste on my face.

Every time I warned him. "Arul, please do not do this."

One day I lost all the control and I hit him on his face. I never thought because of him I got the

job or he used to help me during college days. This is a big regret in my life. We lost touch

with each other.

After hearing about Sunny's death, I wanted to at least meet Arul once again.

I do not know where he is. I have searched for him in all social media and got a picture of him

on Facebook. I tried to contact him through messages but failed.

I wish he would call me one day. I do not want either of us to leave this world without seeing each

other.

Hi Arul, please call me. I wish to say sorry once again.

Rajan V Kokkuri
Principal Process Desginer, Worley Parsons Oman Engineering
P.O.Box 795, PC-133
+968 97062419

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Units

100-word challenge

Childcare