A Valentine for NASA



There was gloom in Mission Control. Opportunity was dead. After 15 years of Mars exploration, the plucky little rover stopped communicating on in June 2018. On February 13t of the following year, NASA announced that its mission had come to an end. Now Curiosity, launched in 2011, would take up the baton.

Then, at two o’clock on the morning of February 14th, a solitary computer blinked into life. When the scientist whose computer it was logged in some five hours later he gasped in disbelief, then gave a whoop of exultation. This is what he read:


Hey, NASA.

I hear y’all have been worried about me these past few months, so I thought I’d touch base one last time. I’ve been up here 15 years now, and I’ve been pretty busy sending you pictures of where I’m at. And thanks for giving me the credit for discovering water on Mars, it’s nice to get a bit of recognition for a job well done. I haven’t seen any signs of actual life, though, and I have to admit it was getting kinda lonely up here.

That’s why I was so pleased when you sent up Curiosity to keep me company. My, she’s a busy old gal! Never stands still for a moment. Reminds me of myself in my younger days.

Well, I guess you are wondering why I’ve stopped writing. It’s like this, see, I’ve been working pretty hard for a long time now, and I think I have earned a rest. Me’n Curiosity have been getting kinda close over the last couple of years - when she wasn’t off exploring, that is. And, it being Valentine’s Day back on Earth, it seemed a good time to pop the question. And she said yes!

Of course, I had to agree to her carrying on with her work. She’s a lot younger than me, and no way is she ready to retire. But I think we may be starting a family sometime soon, what with her electronic clock ticking and all.

So carry on the good work down there. You won’t be hearing from me again, but I guess the old girl will be in touch and keep you up to date with our adventures. And keep on sending up the Rovers – until the kids grow up, that is.

Y’all have a nice life now.

Warm good wishes


Opportunity and Curiosity


Patricia Feinberg Stoner

laugh with the ladies at  https://youtu.be/_70Qys5zOpc


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare