St Valentine's Mass


The challenge was to write a story in under 150 words. It had to begin "The St Valentine's Mas...." and the rest of the word was up to the writer. And the romance was an optional extra!

"May Almighty God bless you, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost."


I half-heard the words but my attention was focussed on him, I'm afraid. He was young, he was fit.

He was never going to notice me.

The mass went on, the readings, the prayers, the blessings. If you ask me I cannot remember any of them.

He was in the row in front of me and I couldn't get him out of my mind.

And then we came to the Pax Tibi.

He turned around. He took my hand. He was one of those people who smile with their eyes and his smile was almost an invitation.

I felt something in my hand. It was a scrap of a hymn book with his phone number on it.

I felt I had been blessed.

Derek McMillan is a writer in Durrington. His wife, Angela, is his editor. He has a number of works which can be viewed on his website http://derekmcmillan.com and his latest book is "Death in Durrington" which has a dozen stories about the Durrington Detective Agency. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare