I Didn’t Know




Red, orange and yellow leaves surround gaudy plastic Gerberas and teddy bears more fitting for a child than an adult. You loved, you danced, you worked hard for that degree and would soon have been a dad, although you didn’t know. I didn't know either.


Your mother's only son. She never wanted to let you go, having lost her husband, your father, so young. All that dark trapped inside you. I thought we’d turned a corner, moved towards the light. What happened that morning to change your mind?


I haven’t told your mother yet. She banned me from the funeral.


Lauren M Foster

Bio: Lauren is a writer and musician from Charnwood. Published in Ink
 Pantry, DIY Poets, The Journal, 81 Words and more. Drummer and
 vocalist in The Cars that Ate Paris, a garage-punk band.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Sawtooth