Four stories from Tony Roberts

BAD NEWS 100

I was busy with tissue samples for testing. I know that even if it is bad news prompt treatment will usually save them or prolong their lives so I had to get it right. I glanced at the name and I gaped; it was for Pete Jones. I checked the address; yes it was him, the man who stole my girl all those years ago. I held my breath and finished the test. Then I punched the air in delight; it was cancer.

I had sworn revenge one day. I sent him the all-clear letter saying re-test in two years.

FLY LIKE A BIRD 100

His father smiled as he showed his son the wings he had made out of feathers and wax.

“We can escape from this accused island,” he said. They hurried to the headland and stood at the cliff edge.

“Follow me,” his father said; “but not too low in the sea spray and not too high in the sun.”

Soon they were flying towards their freedom. The son could not believe it. He was swooping down and flying higher and higher. He felt the hot sun but then saw his feathers float away and Icarus fell slowly into the ocean below.

STROKE 100

Sue smiled when she saw John fall to the floor. They had been warned a second stroke was possible. And it was just after his first stroke that as he rambled in a semi- delirious state in his hospital bed she learned of his long-term affair. She decided to bide her time.

She left him and went to read her book. After an hour she went back; John was lying still. She checked, there was no pulse and his hand was cold. She picked up the phone and dialled 999.

“Hello please come at once. My husband’s had a stroke.

REWRITING HISTORY 100

We were retracing Captain Scott’s epic journey to the South Pole. The weather had been unseasonably mild for many months and the snow had been showing signs of melting. We were finding equipment long abandoned on previous missions.

Then one of our party reported finding a body in the snow close to Scott’s final resting place; we all looked at each other. It was taken away for analysis and we were called for the results.

The chief investigator smiled.

“Two points; firstly the body is that of Captain Oates; secondly, Captain Oates died from a bullet wound to the head.”

Tony Roberts 



These four are from 100 Stories of 100 Words which is so far unpublished.

Comments

  1. There is no rule about how many 100-word stories any one person can enter. These are all excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Sawtooth