The Unseen Beauty

 


 

I was walking back to my house after finishing my special school class. There was no street light and I found very difficult to walk in the dark.

As I was walking I saw a man following me. His head was covered and his face was not visible.

I reached home and mum was waiting at the gate of the villa itself. Mom asked me ‘What happened dear?’

I said ‘Someone was following me, I think he is waiting near the turning.’ Suddenly the street light flashed and I could see his face. His face was ugly and I got frightened. Mom reached out to him and talked for a minute and caught hold of his hand and led him to our home. I followed mom and entered the house. I had noticed that the stranger was wearing old torn clothes. He looked very tired and poor.

 I reached mom in the kitchen. Mom was arranging some food for him. I said ‘Mom, why did you bring him in?’

Mom replied ‘Dear child, please wait here till I give him some food.’ I was not happy and got angry. ‘Mom,why don’t you feed me instead of that ugly man.’ Mom looked at my face with anger and walked away.

 Mom’s reaction sent wild thoughts through me and I rushed to my room and locked the door from inside and fell into the bed

I covered my face with the pillow and couldn’t control the flow of teardrops.

I could hear the sound of someone banging on the door. I was sure it would be mom, but I didn’t get up.

When the sound was unbearable I reached to open the door. As soon as I opened the door, mom hugged me.

 

Mom said ‘You have asked me many times about my burn mark,’ I nodded my head. Mom continued to tell.

‘I hid a few things from you all these days, when you were four years old, our flat had a fire accident.

’Yes mom I replied. ‘I remember you telling me about that incident.’ Mom continued.

‘We were struck on the third floor of the building and there was no way for us to escape.

God was kind enough and sent a fireman and saved us. During that incident I got a severe burn in the hand.

The fireman had severe burns and had longer duration of treatment. I did not see him after that incident for many years. One day I got a telephone call from a stranger and he enquired about the fire. He wanted to meet us to tell something about the fire. I had agreed and he came to see us.

 

He was hesitating to reveal the truth about his identity. He had told me not to tell that he was the person who saved you in the fire. I was confused and asked mom. ‘Is this stranger is that person?’ Mom replied, ‘Yes, dear.’

 

I did not wait to listen anything more from mom and ran towards the stranger and hugged him.

‘Sorry uncle, you saved me from fire and I ignored you and hated you.’ The stranger replied. ‘It is ok my child,

I am not your uncle but I am your dad.’ Mom was standing beside me and shook the head to convince me.

 

‘Oh, daddy, why did you stay away from us for so many years, mom never told me that my dad had saved me from the fire.’

Dad replied. ‘I thought you and mom would not welcome my ugly burned face.’

‘No daddy, we want you however you look.’

 

Daddy kneeled down. ‘Oh, God, you heard my prayer.’

 

Short Story by RAJAN V KOKKURI

+96897062419, Muscat

Email: rajananitha@yahoo.com 

 

Comments

  1. Thank you Derek for publishing my story. Readers, please reach out to me with your opinion and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story is touching and is a good way to remind us that, too often, we judge people’s appearance without knowing them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Units

100-word challenge

Childcare