The Test




A small room, over-heated. The sky outside grey like the man’s hair. A desk. Not quite grey, not quite white. A young man. Hair, black and slightly woolly. Eyebrows also black.
Grey-haired man. ‘What is the purpose of your visit?’
Young man. ‘I have been invited to speak at the Festival of Words.’
‘Words?’
‘Yes, sir.’
‘On what topic?’
‘Words, sir.’
A pause. A raindrop sliding down the window.
‘Words does not describe the topic Mr…?’
‘Mr. Abias, sir.
‘Mr. Abias please describe the topic you will be speaking on.’
A pause. The click of a radiator. ‘The title of my piece is the impact of the Colonial Mind on the literature of Angola in the late 20th century.’
The grey-haired man taps his pen on the desk that is neither white nor grey. ‘The Colonial mind. Is that how you see us, Mr. Abias?’
‘It depends, sir.’
‘On what Mr. Abias?’
‘On who is speaking, sir.’
‘Why do you persist in calling me sir?’
‘Because I do not know your name.’
‘I see.’
‘Is this a test?’
The click of a fingernail on the desk that is neither grey nor white.
‘Indeed it is, Mr. Abias. We deem it necessary for visitors such as yourself to explain. Do you understand?’
‘But I have a proper invitation, sir.’
‘An invitation is insufficient.’
‘I do not intend to stay here if this is what concerns you. When my visit is over, I will be returning to Angola. It is my home.’
The grey-haired man clears his throat. ‘There are other issues.’
‘What other issues?’
‘That, Mr. Abias is for you to work out.’ The grey-haired man smiles and sits back in his chair. Click, click. 

by Bronwen Griffiths

Bronwen Griffiths is the author of, A Bird in the House, 2104, Not Here, Not Us – stories of Syria, 2016, and Here Casts No Shadow, 2018. Her flash fiction, short stories and poems have been widely published.  She now lives on the East Sussex - Kent border.



 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare