The Letter Writer

  
Ella Richardson placed the ad in the local paper and waited.
Two weeks later she received the first response

27 Station Road
Burley
Dear Mrs Richardson, I saw your advert in the paper and thought that you might be just the sort of person to help me. I'm not good with words and all that and would like some help over a matter that has been causing me concern for some time.
Jane Vickers

Dear Jane Vickers,
Thank you for your recent correspondence. I would be pleased to assist in any way I can. As stated in the advertisement, the format is that you send me your draft letter along with any other information which may be of use concerning the person or persons to whom the letter will be sent, and I would attempt to put into words the subject matter you would like conveyed.
Look forward to hearing from you
Ella Richardson.

Dear Mrs Richardson, This is Jane Vickers who wrote asking for your help a few weeks ago. Please find enclosed a draft of the letter I wish to send with some background information.
Thanks in advance
Jane Vickers

Dear Jane Vickers,
Thank you for the draft letter and supporting information. I must admit to being surprised that you are better at words than you had suggested in your original letter. I had to read the very long draft twice before I could get to the bottom of what you wanted to say.
I understand that you were very angry when you wrote it hence the length of the sentences and the many exclamation marks. I noticed that the weight of the pen on the paper tore the letter in some places. Also, it is not a good idea to use swear words even if they are misspelt. Poor spelling of a swear word or asterisks (**) to indicate missing letters will not hide the fact that a swear word was intended. Are you writing to the person or someone else about the person? I ask the question because in one paragraph you call her by name and in other paragraphs, you called her Miss High and Mighty and used the word slag and dirty slut.
Are the accusations facts that you know to be true, or are they accusations borne out of months of pent up brooding and imaginings? You state that the other party involved denies any wrongdoing, but you are unsure as to the level of involvement in the situation. The fact that the two people mentioned work in the same office and spend what you claim to be ‘too much time together after work’, could mean any number of things. You stay at home by choice as I understand it and feel in some way inferior to the woman in question. May I suggest, before we embark on a letter approach, that you take some time to think things over, and maybe if you can, gather correct information on the situation?
I look forward to hearing from you and hope you feel able to take up my suggestions
Yours Sincerely
Ella Richardson

Dear Mrs Richardson,
 I am sorry that it has taken so long to reply to your last letter. Jane Vickers
Dear Jane,
 I did not expect that you would take up the suggestions I proffered, but it seems you have done that and more. Your letter is kinder than the original one you wanted to write, and I see that you have not felt it necessary to use any swear words. Calling yourself weak and a doormat does not ring true, not after the feisty verbal show you displayed in your first letter. You state that you found out more information from a friend who had known for some time what was going on but was unsure whether to tell you.  As I suggested previously, behaviours and actions can be misunderstood, which is why she may have hesitated. This new information coupled with your doubts seems to add weight to your fears. I was unable to read some of your writing on the second page on account of the smudges which I assume meant you were crying. Again take some time before you do write the letter, think whether you want to send it and to whom you want to send it. Maybe have a cup of tea, and not the bottle of wine you say gives you the courage to speak your mind. I’m afraid that it may only allow you to see matters in a negative light.
Your first letter showed strength, remember that person, and the energy she conveyed but without the desire to violent action.  May I suggest a change to yourself and your current daily routine? As it stands you appear to have a lot of time on your hands which, to your detriment, allows you to brood and become despondent.
Ella

Dear Ella
I have written the enclosed letter to myself. I wanted you to see it.
Jane
Dear Jane
Well done. You seem to have taken some responsibility for the situation that arose at that time. It is clear that the new decisions you now make have afforded you some authority and power in your life and in the area of relationships. You have not mentioned either of the persons that appeared in the other letters and subsequently led you to seek my help. I can only assume that neither of them plays an important part in your life anymore. Good luck with the new job and new image, and feel free to write to me again on any matter.
Yours Sincerely
Ella

This is written by Janet Hardacre
Author ( Taking Care of People with Dementia- an A-Z of practical help and caregivers' stories)

Comments

  1. Most enjoyable, and reminds me of the 'Stinkers' my mother used to type out in fury to various people in authority! Most of these ended up in the wastepaper bin, I should add.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100-word challenge

40 Units

Childcare